You may have noticed that I have been doing a lot posts lately about my CSA. That is because I love it. So I thought I would share with you some of the reasons why. If you don’t know what a CSA is, it’s basically a share that you buy in a local farm. You pay for the share at the beginning of the growing season and you get a share of whatever they grow. We have a half share this year so we pick up every other week. I foresee this growing into a full share next year and here’s why.
1. Variety- The Hooligan and I kind of love to cook by experimentation and we like trying new things. A CSA is awesome for that because you never know what you are going to get. Sometimes you get vegetables that you have never tried before. It is great if you like trying new things.
2. Fresh Produce- Just tastes better than the stuff you buy in the store. Supermarket produce was sometime s grown a thousand miles away and picked before it was ripe. With a CSA you get the freshest possible produce.
3. Support Local Farms- I love that Connecticut still has farmland. I really, really want to keep it that way. That’s why local food is important to me. It good for the community and it’s for the environment too.
4. Get To See- Where my food comes from and get to know the people who grow it. That’s just really cool.
5. It’s Fun- If you get the chance to do it you should. I think you’d like it.
Stay tuned for a guest post from The Hooligan about making your own ice cream. I